This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

Urgent: No warning given for removing multiple choice item with data

1. williamansley

I did a user an injustice in a previous message in this forum because I didn't check thoroughly enough. I thought the user had deleted a field that contained data, but they didn't; they removed a single item from a multiple choice field that had data associated with it. There is no warning at all when you do this, but you do lose data. I can't call this a bug, but it is a Very Bad Feature of Machform and should be changed, in my opinion. I admit it will be annoying if you have to click through a warning every time you delete an item from a multiple choice field, but that is far better than losing data. If it is possible for Machform to check and only warn you if the the multiple choice field item you are deleting contains data, then that would be ideal, but I have no idea is that is feasible or even possible.

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. williamansley

I would really appreciate it is someone from Appnitro would address this issue. This is a serious bug in the Machform application!

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. yuniar

We don't classify this a bug, as it was designed to work that way.

We'll consider to add warning message when the choice item is being deleted for the first time. Adding warning message for each option deletion would be an overkill indeed.

MachForm Founder

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. williamansley

Yuniar, I respectfully disagree with your decision. You claim you want Machform to be as easy to use as possible. But, due to this shortcoming, I will have to think very carefully about who I grant access to edit forms to. Many of our end users are very unsophisticated when it comes to technology and will not be able to grasp that deleting a field from the form will also delete the data, no matter how many times I tell them to be careful. One of the goals of using Machform at our institution was to relieve some of the burden of creating online forms for end users from the ITS department. Due to this shortcoming, Machform is not going to live up to its full potential in doing this.

I recognize that implementing a warning for every deletion of an item from a multiple choice (or checkbox or dropdown menu) field will be quite inconvenient, but this can be alleviated by making it a option on a user-by-user basis. I strongly urge you to consider adding the option to user accounts to turn on warnings for deleting items from multiple choice (or checkbox or dropdown menu) fields every time, the first time only, or never. As an alternative, I would like to see a new level of user access added to Machform where the users could edit fields to change the text but not remove or add fields as a whole or in part, which I have already suggested in another thread.

http://www.appnitro.com/forums/topic/feature-request-edit-form-without-adddelete?replies=2

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic