This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

migrating from localhost to production site - best approach?

1. anujagrawal

As i develop my forms and php code on my localhost, is there a best practices approach to pushing all the forms, themes etc. up to the production site? Should i copy the data folder and do an export/import on the database, or is something else recommended?

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. anujagrawal

How are others doing this? Do you perform your development directly on your production server? If not, how are you moving your forms and themes up to the server? What's the recommended approach?

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. jhinkle

With the randomized form IDs now, I do all my form creation in production. But if I were doing it the way you are, then yes, copy the data folder and do an export/import on the DB.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. yuniar

We'll be releasing v4.2 next week and one of the new feature is to let you export your form into a file and then import back into another machform.

This way, it will be easier for you to copy forms between installation without export/import on the database directly.

MachForm Founder

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. anujagrawal

Thanks jhinkle and yuniar.

I will look forward to the new version. I wonder how formID conflicts would be resolved. Should be interesting. Is there any documentation on any requirements in order to perform the export/import?

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. yuniar

When the form file is being imported, MachForm will assign new form id to prevent conflict. The only requirement is the destination machform must have the same or newer version.

MachForm Founder

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. anujagrawal

Yuniar - will a new form Id only be assigned if there is a conflict or will it do it everytime? If it does it everytime, that is likely to need pages that have referenced the form ID to require updating and that will not be good. Also, if an existing form is updated, will it go thru this same process I.e. A new form ID would be generated for each update?

Also, you mentioned form export/import, will that include any themes as well?

Thanks.

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. yuniar

The new form id will always be assigned when you do the import. The new export/import tool is not really designed to sync your forms unfortunately, so each time you do an update and import it again, it will considered as a new form and won't update any existing form.

At this moment the export/import tool only include the form, not themes.

MachForm Founder

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. anujagrawal

ok thanks. So what's the trick to updating themes from one environment to another? copy the directory?

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic