This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

Is it OK to delete files used in 3.5 but not in the 4.0 distribution?

1. Steve1951

After I upgraded from version 3.5 to version 4.0 I noticed several files that are included in my MachForm directory but not included in the version 4.0 distribution. Some examples are pattern_001.gif through pattern_158.gif in directory /machform/images/form_resources. There are other files also, including some PHP files. Is it OK to delete the files that are already in the directories if they are not included in the V4.0 distribution (excluding directories data and hooks and file config.php of course).

Better yet, after the upgrade, is it OK to delete all files (excluding directories data and hooks and file config.php) and then upload the V4.0 distribution files? I like to keep my installations clean without unnecessary files.

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. AMurray
    Pro Member

I don't believe there's any need to delete any files that may be otherwise still required in V4, but I am curious as to which files you believe shouldn't be there or are left over from 3.5 - can you give an example which PHP files you believe should not be there are are "left overs" from V3.x?

I do see the files you mention in images/form_resources.

I suppose you can do a "Clean" install - delete all trace of 3.5 files entirely with exception of data, hooks and config.php and then upload version 4 file, then run the upgrade - the upgrade script is only adding stuff to the database more than anything.

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Steve1951

A few examples of php files are ajax_form_activation.php, delete_element.php and delete_element_option.php. Some of these could be left over from version 2.x. Version 4 is running great, just curious if I can safely delete these files.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. AMurray
    Pro Member

I don't see any of those files listed in my V4.0 install, so (just in my opinion) perhaps it's OK to delete them. As you say maybe they are from V2.x not 3.x

If you want a definite answer, suggest you contact Appnitro directly as it might be a few days before you get an answer from Yuniar in the forum but they are very fast with their email support.

However if you delete them and MF runs fine without them, that's well and good, if you start getting problems you can always restore them.

http://www.appnitro.com/contact

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. yuniar

Yes, it's fine to delete any unused files from previous versions.

Better yet, after the upgrade, is it OK to delete all files (excluding directories data and hooks and file config.php) and then upload the V4.0 distribution files? I like to keep my installations clean without unnecessary files.

Yes, this is better and cleaner. This is OK.

MachForm Founder

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. MichaelWheeler

Should upgrade.php be deleted after a successful upgrade so that it doesn't accidentally get executed again? Or does it need to stay because it is used for something else later?

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. yuniar

You don't need to delete that file as the script is smart enough to check if you already upgraded or not. It won't be executed again if you already updated.

MachForm Founder

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. MichaelWheeler

Excellent! Thanks!

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic