This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

Form still completed even if not paid?

1. jhinkle

To me, this seems like a bug.

We set up a form to accept Paypal to pay for their registration fees. A user completes the form and hits the submit button which redirects them to the Paypal page in order to pay their fees. The user gets distracted,scared off, etc. and closes the browser windows or session times out. In the machform system, that user has completed their registration, but marked as unpaid. I'd like 1 of 2 things to happen to fix this "bug".

1. Don't save any information in the database until the approve flag from Paypal gets received to machform.
    2. Add functionality in the admin side to enable us to send the user a "Payment URL" in order for them to complete their payment for what they signed up for.

Right now, we have users signed up for an event that have not paid and the only way to get them to pay is to individually contact each of these users and ask them if they want to write us a check or have us send them an invoice through Paypal.

Hopefully we can get more people backing this fix so we can get it in production as soon as possible. Let me know your thoughts.

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. yuniar

This is by design and we're not considering this as a bug.

When you have payment-enabled form, basically there are two major part of your form. Your form itself and the payment form.

Once your client submitted the form (the part before the payment) MachForm will save it into the database already and mark the payment status as "UNPAID". Later when the client completed the payment, MachForm will automatically update the payment status as "PAID" and send you notification email.

If you don't want to see unpaid entries, simply setup a filter to only display paid entries.
    Also, make sure to go to your payment settings page and turn on the "Delay Notifications until Paid" option. So that you won't receive any notification before the client completed the payment.

I suggest to put a note as well on your form and ask the users to complete their payment.

MachForm Founder

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. jhinkle

I'm sorry, but setting up a filter to only display paid entries will not solve the problem.

I'm not sure if you understand the dilemma. Let me try to explain further:

We have a registration form for a conference that has different options to purchase items within the form, as well as the registration fee itself. It's about 4-5 pages long. So, if a user fills out the long form and purchases a few items as well - let's say their total is $79. They submit the form and it takes them to the Paypal page ... and then their session times out, they lose power, they don't have the money, ... there's so many things that could stop their progress to pay. But in the system, they have their information saved with a status of "unpaid". That's fine, I'm ok with that ... but please give us the ability to send them to their checkout URL with Paypal at least. As it stands right now, those people are in kind of a no mans land, where they have already filled out the form, but haven't paid, but they can't finish their payment, but they don't want to fill out the form again ... they are just kinda stuck. So I have to go through the entries and see who has a balance that is unpaid and copy their email address and balance due to manually invoice them 1 by 1 through Paypal.

Please speak up if you encounter this issue as well.

Also, speaking of the "unpaid" status. Let's say the registration fee for a particular group of people is already paid for, so they owe $0. It still marks them as "unpaid", even though their balance due is $0. This needs to be taken care of as well.

I've always thought this product is awesome and I still do. If I knew how to fix these problems myself, I would.

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. yuniar

Hmm.. I think I can help you with a simple modification to display the payment URL within the entry page. This will only applicable for PayPal standard though, not PayPal Pro or any other payment system.

I'll post here tomorrow (it's late here right now).

Regarding payment status, it should be updated automatically if the client pay through the URL provided by machform. Otherwise you'll need to update the status manually from the entry page.

MachForm Founder

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. jhinkle

This will be great! Even better if all the payment processors had a link. Because of the shortfalls of Paypal Payments Standard, I might be switching to Stripe for out next go round.

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. yuniar

Apparently, the modifications are too much to be posted here.
    So I've just sent you the updated file (view_entry.php) to your gmail address. Please check it there.

This is currently only applicable to PayPal standard, because other payment processors doesn't have this kind of URL and we need to add more code for that.

MachForm Founder

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. christopherbrooks

We use a form for entering dog shows, and perhaps 5% of the time the exhibitor fails to complete payment at Paypal in the regular way. To deal with this, our starting page contains a "make payment" link which takes the person to paypal using a $1 shopping cart item. That way the exhibitor can update the cart to be the amount they owe and make payment.

It is not perfect -- obviously does not tie back to the form, nor mark the form as paid, and it requires the exhibitor to know how much they owe (well, that was shown to them on the review page and the email they received). But it does give the exhibitor the means to pay on their own. I agree, the ability to resend a payment url tied to the form would be a nice feature.

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. jhinkle

yuniar, thank you so much for helping me out with this! I just uploaded the file and it works great!

The next step would be to enable this for all payment processors that are used by machform.

I would think this would be a feature a lot of people would want ... contact yuniar for the file if you are interested.

Great work yuniar!

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. jscott02

Any way I can get the view_entry.php file sent to me? I have the same issue.

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. jhinkle

This is implemented in the 4.1 upgrade.

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic