This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

Feature request: Workflow: customized "Save my progress and resume later" email

1. williamansley

If this request is implemented, it would easily allow simple form-based workflows to be implemented in Machform. Another way to think of it is that this would allow Machform to implement multi-part forms, with each part being filled out by a different person.

It would be very useful to my institution if it were possible to customize the email that was sent out by Machform when someone checks the "Save my progress and resume later" box and clicks the "Save form and resume later" button. I would like to be able to use template variables in this email template; a new email template variable for the resume URL should be added. It should also be possible to control the "To:" field of the generated email, either allowing it to go out to any email address in the form entry, a fixed address (in both of these cases, no "Enter Your Email Address" email field would appear when you checked the "Save my progress and resume later" box), or an email address entered "on the fly" in the "Enter Your Email Address" (in this case the email field would appear when the box was checked). The text shown on the "Save form and resume later" button should also be customizable.

This would allow simple form-based workflows to easily be created in Machform, especially if a form could be "saved and resumed later" more than once. Person A would fill out the first page (which would have an email address field for Person B) and click click continue. Person B would get the email (which could contain instructions created with the email template), click on the link and submit the form. If there could be multiple continue steps, then this chain could be continued for several people.

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. hughhubbers

Yes I would like this feature too :-)

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. williamansley

I wasn't thinking things through clearly when I wrote the description of my feature request. Currently you can "save and resume" a form as many times as you desire, so the only additional features needed in Machform to make my suggestion a reality are adding an email template variable for the resume link and a new notification logic trigger that will allow an email to be sent out when the "Save form and resume later" button is clicked instead of or in addition to the message that is currently displayed after the button is clicked.

Appnitro staff, please consider adding this feature. It would add enormous functionality to Machform with no noticeable increase in complexity that I can see.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. stephenScott

Having the option to save to the e-mail address all ready filled in on the form and not promped for one would be fantastic how ever if a e-mail address is not asked for then promped as usual. This wouuld make life alot easyer on alot of form types.

Fantastic Product :)

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. williamansley

One final thing I would like to ask for as part of this feature request is to have the ability by means of logic to disable the "save and resume" later status of the form. That way you could prevent the final person in the workflow from accidentally checking this box and failing to actually submit the form. (I figure if I am already asking for the moon, why not ask for the whole solar system as well? ;-)

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. kristakov

I'll add my desire to this request. To be honest, I thought the save progress and resume later function already was providing the URL in an email. Kind of figured that was the reason for asking for an email address. The URL display info would benefit greatly if formatted as a hot link. At least someone could rt. click the link and save it without having to swipe the text to copy and then figure out where to paste it. The way this is currently handled is very raw. It needs developing. A great concept that leaves a lot to be desired and very needed by those of us building long, complicated forms. It's a necessity. Since you're asking for an email address, it can't be that much more effort to modify the code to use the PHP mail or SMTP engine to send the output screen info as a mail msg. This would provide comfort to the individual that needs to interrupt their work by knowing the link is recorded somewhere in mail that they will be able to find to resume their efforts. Right now, it's messy. Too much effort required to log a piece of important information in order to make sure you can get back to where you left off. PLEASE ADDRESS THIS!! Should be a simple fix since you are already providing the means to send the entire filled form to the user once completed.

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. yuniar

@kristakov -- Actually, machform already done that (sending the URL). The save and resume later functionality will send the URL within the email. So that you could simply click the URL and resume the form.

If you're not getting any email, you need to check if your machform is able to send email or not.
    First, check into your Settings page, make sure the "Default Email From Address" is using correctly formatted email address, not an IP address or hostname.

Then test your form again. If the email still not being sent, the PHP mail functionality on your server most likely not configured properly, you can try to configure your MachForm to use SMTP server instead. Turn on the SMTP server option on your Setting page.

MachForm Founder

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic