This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 3

Feature request for multi-user update: Tie password protected form to LDAP

1. williamansley

I don't know if it is too late for this feature to be added to the update of Machform 3 that will include multi-user accounts, but if it can't be added to that update, I would still like to see it considered for inclusion with a subsequent update.

Having the ability to password protect a form so that no one can see it or fill it out unless they know the password is certainly useful, but it does still leave a problem. How can you get the password to a protected form out to everyone who needs it without having it leak out to people who shouldn't have it? Depending on the number of people involved, and how easy it is to reach them by secure means (i.e., something other than email) this can be a lot of trouble. Assuming that the multi-user version of Machform 3 will be able to tie into an existing LDAP (which I believe has been stated as one of the features that will be included in the multi-user update), I would like to see the ability to tie the password for a *password protected form* to the same LDAP. This would be very useful at our institution at least, where we have many cases where we would like to collect information from a form that should only be available to staff members who already have logon credentials in our existing LDAP.

If anyone has any questions about this feature request, I will do must best to answer them.

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. yuniar

We don't have any plan for this yet, but thank you for the idea.

MachForm Founder

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. williamansley

yuniar, thank you for your response. I would think that once you have the multi-user feature enabled, that allowing the password for password protected forms to also use LDAP wouldn't be that much more work. Of course, since I am not the one doing the work, it is very easy for me to say that.

However, if you do add this feature, I am sure it will gain you a lot of gratitude among your institutional users. I know I have made some fairly harsh remarks about the initial release of Machform v.3, but I am very impressed with the steady stream improvements that have been coming out since then and I am waiting eagerly for the update that adds multi-user support, so we can finally upgrade.

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. orware

Hi William,

I'm going to be upgrading our install to version 3.2 soon and will likely migrate some of my own customizations from version 2.x that I have to the new version. I have had requests from my staff for the same functionality you're requesting and have implemented some multi-user functionality here on my end which has worked great for our needs.

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. yuniar

Thanks for the feedback. However, we're not even sure if we're going to implement LDAP authentication for the initial release of the multi users version. Most likely we're going to provide option to add users in bulk instead of doing LDAP.

MachForm Founder

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. williamansley

@orware: Thanks for your response. We have also implemented limited multi-user features in Machform 2 (out of necessity, the product just didn't meet all of our needs otherwise). However, this required extensive revisions to the base code that we are unwilling to recreate in Machform v.3. So we are going to wait until a future update of Machform 3 is available with some multi-user capability built in to it before we upgrade. We have also added some minor changes to the base code for things like custom verification of fields that we will try to port to Machform 3 when we do upgrade.

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. williamansley

@yuniar: Thank you for your response. If you don't have LDAP integration for the initial release of a multi-user version Machform 3, I can live with that, especially if (as you seem to be saying) you do intend to add this to a subsequent update of version 3. However, if and when you do add the capability to have multiple user accounts in Machform 3 that integrate with an existing LDAP, please consider adding the additional option to also allow password protected forms to also tie into the LDAP. I have certainly belabored this point enough by now; you don't need to respond again.

Posted 11 years ago #
  8. yuniar

Sorry it took so long for this to be implemented, but I can tell you that LDAP authentication is coming into v4.3, very soon!

MachForm Founder

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic