This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

***FEATURE REQUEST: Cross tabulation in Report Builder

1. richardduboi

Hi,

Since MachForm Version 4.0, we could can now easily create report for our forms. The new report builder allowed us to build interactive charts and grid to analyze our data. Yes, finally! And the great thing about the new report builder, was/is that creating report was/is super easy! No technical knowledge needed :-)

The developers made sure to make it as easy as it could be for us to build the report. And they really succeeded! But I think that there is something important missing in the report builder: The possibility to conduct cross-tabulation report analysis.

**Cross-tabulation report analysis is one of the most useful analytical tools and provide a basic picture of the interrelation between two or more variables and can help find interactions between them. Cross tabulations enable you to examine relationships within the data that might not be readily apparent when analyzing total survey responses.

>>> Example: Suppose that you are hired by the local school board to conduct a survey on attitudes toward sex education. The district is planning to modify its current sex education curriculum, but it needs additional data to help determine what to include in the curriculum. Some of the school board members think that sex education should focus solely on abstinence, while others believe that sex education should be more comprehensive. You create a 3-item survey. The items are:

1. Do you think that receiving sex education in high school is important?
    2. Do you think that high schools should provide more comprehensive sex education that includes a discussion of birth control methods and how to practice safe sex?
    3. Do you think that high school students should be provided with abstinence-only sex education?

You decide to give your survey to 250 students, 250 parents, and all of the 100 teachers in the school district. You decide to compare the responses of the students, parents, and teachers to each other on each of the three items. The best way for you to conduct the comparisons is to use cross tabulation.

>>>With Cross tabulation, you get better help to better understand how two different variables are related to each other. For example, suppose you wanted to see if there is a relationship between the gender of the survey responder and if sex education in high school is important.

Using the survey data/report Analysis, you can count the number of males and females who said that sex education is important, and the number of males and females who said that sex education is not important. You then take this information and create a contingency table, which displays the frequency of each of the variables. Suppose that there are 300 females and 300 males who completed the survey.

>>>Conclusion: The MachForm report builder is very customizable and useful in many ways!

The grid widget is pretty neat! It allows you to display your form data to any page you want! You can sort the data, reorder the columns or even group the data based on certain columns! You can select which fields you would like to display and which fields to hide. This way, you can keep your private data safe, while sharing the public data on your site.

The Pie Chart and Bar Chart widget are also neat! Each chart can be configured to use all entries data or using data from specific filter. This allows you to build charts using very customized data sets! You can have horizontal or vertical bar chart and also stack the data as well.

In other words, a versatile report builder! But there is some key futures missing and I think that Cross-tabulation is one of them. Cross-tabulation is one of the most useful analytical tools and I think that it will be an great addition to the MachForm Report Builder system!

Best regards,

Richard

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. yuniar

Oh wow,,,thank you for your kind words and the extensive information regarding cross tabulation.
    I'm glad that you found the report builder to be useful.

Our main goal is to make it as easy as possible indeed. Although, this might limit some level of the functionalities.
    There are lots of area need to be improved with the current reporting feature and we're looking forward to continue developing it.

Regarding cross tabulation, I suppose we'll need to understand the whole terms first and consider on how to implement this using the easiest way.Thank you for the idea on this.

I can't promise you anything, but I'll consider this further. Thanks Richard!
    If others have some thought or same request regarding this, please let me know here.

MachForm Founder

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. AlanHeighway

Hi Yuniar

I too would like some form of cross tab or pivot table report.

I have made a timesheet form for my staff and it would be great if I could get a monthly report on a webpage that shows how many hours they have worked.

Alan

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. agdm619

Defiantly can use this!

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic